Methods of Giving
Methods of Giving
- Cash gift: Cash, checks made payable to the “Sun Devil Club” or “Sun Angel Foundation”, or credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) are accepted. Gifts can be accepted online, in person, or through the mail and can be made to the scholarship fund or any other restricted or unrestricted program to accumulate priority points, establish membership level, as well as count toward priority seating and priority parking. Documents will be sent following the processing of the gift to properly thank the donor and provide receipts for tax purposes.
- Automatic payment plan: Annual contributions may be paid monthly, quarterly, or semi-annually (must be paid in full prior to the SAF fiscal year end of June 30th) by scheduling a pre-authorized automatic payment plan through a valid credit card, or deposit account. A donor may set up and automatic payment plan online at sundevilclub.com or by calling the office.
- ASU employees: Arizona State University employees may be able to contribute their annual gift through payroll deduction. ASU employees also receive a 20% discount on the entire ticket price including the season ticket seat contribution.
- Season Ticket Seat Contributions: All sections within Sun Devil Stadium for Sun Devil Football, certain sections within Wells Fargo Arena for Sun Devil Men’s Basketball and Sun Devil Wrestling, and certain sections within Oceanside Arena for Sun Devil Ice Hockey require a contribution be made to the Sun Devil Club for access to those seats. Donation levels vary between sections in each venue and pricing is reviewed annually. When renewing or purchasing season tickets in these sections the donor/buyer will pay the full transaction amount including the ticket price and seat contribution to the ticket office no later than the stated deadline for that sport. When the transaction is processed, our ticket software recognizes the transaction and places the required seat contribution properly as a donation assigned to that donor’s Sun Devil Club account in our donor software. Priority points and membership level credit are provided for the required seat contribution. At the end of the calendar year a tax receipt is sent to the donor/buyer for seat related contributions.
- Company matching gift: There are more than 600 companies that will match a donor’s contribution to the Sun Devil Club through our 501(c)(3) non-profit organization status. A donor’s gift, plus the matching portion from their company, will qualify the donor for membership benefits and priority points at the combined level and amount. Due to most companies’ internal policies, matching gifts cannot be used to specifically pay for priority seating but do add to a donors giving level to meet football parking lot giving level requirements. All matching gifts are added to a restricted scholarship fund – the Sun Devil Scholarship Endowment. Donors are encouraged to visit their human resources department to see if their company matches charitable contributions. Documents will be sent following the processing of the gift to properly thank the donor for submitting a matching gift request to their company.
- Gift-in-kind: Area businesses may contribute their goods and/or services to the Sun Devil Athletics as a form of giving. Hotel accommodations, food and beverages are highly-valued examples of gift-in-kind. Items of gift-in-kind are eligible for membership benefits, priority point accumulation, priority seating, and priority parking, but the gift must be approved by the Executive Director of the Sun Devil Club in each instance to qualify. Documents will be sent following the processing of the gift to properly thank the donor and provide receipts for tax purposes.
- Stock transfers: Donors can elect to make a gift of stock to the Sun Devil Club. If a donor shows interest in this form of giving, their assigned development officer will need to work with the donor and their broker to properly fill out the stock intent and transfer form. Once the transfer is settled and the stock is sold, the donor is provided gift credit based on the average share price on the day the shares were received. The calculated gift amount can be placed in the scholarship fund or any Sun Devil Club restricted program as directed by the donor and is used to accumulate priority points, establish membership level, as well as count toward priority seating and priority parking. Documents will be sent following the processing of the gift to properly thank the donor and provide receipts for tax purposes.
- Events: Donors can elect to pay for attending certain events to obtain membership status or add to their existing donation totals. A fair market value is placed on an event that includes an estimated fair market value of all goods and services that are provided to the donor as part of the event entry fee. Examples are the estimated (or actual if known) fair market value of dinner, entry gift provided by the Sun Devil Club, or greens fees. The fair market value is deducted from the entry cost of the event and the difference is considered a donation to the Sun Devil Club and such difference may also be deductible as a tax donation by the event patron. The net gift amount, after reducing the event entry payment by the estimated fair market value of all goods and services provided to the donor, will count toward the patron’s priority points, SDC membership level, and priority parking. Documents will be sent following the processing of the gift to properly thank the donor and provide receipts for tax purposes. If any team (sport-restricted) events, such as golf tournaments or dinners, are run without complying with Sun Devil Club policies or without direct oversight from the Sun Devil Club, the events will not be counted.
- Current events where membership credit may be provided are listed below:
- Football Awards Banquet
- Wings of Gold Celebration
- Devils Ball
- So. Cal Devils Golf Tournament
- Sun Devil Athletics Hall of Fame Luncheon
- Signing Day Reception
- Sport-specific banquets and other events
- Football Reunion Golf Tournament
- Todd Graham Invitational
- Live Auction Items at Events: Sun Devil Club donors can establish membership status or add to their existing totals by making a live auction purchase at an official event. An estimated fair market value is placed on all live auction items. Prior to the auction, the fair market value will be displayed in writing and announced by the auctioneer. Once the purchase has been made, the full payment for the sale price will be collected. After the event is complete, the Sun Devil Club will manually post the live auction purchase in their buyer’s account under the specific event allocation and deduct the estimated fair market value with the remaining balance being considered a donation. The amount provided for membership status and priority points will equal the amount provided for tax documentation.
i. Membership credit will only be provided to the person or household who owns the bidder number that purchased the item. Credit will not be divided out if sold to a group.